Wednesday 7 September 2011

BLW Sept: Days 3, 4 and 5

Here's your second installment of our baby-led weaning meals!

Day 3
Breakfast: Fruit scones with unsalted, spreadable butter (Lurpak) and homemade plum and raspberry jam.
You'll start to notice a bit of a pattern now with the breakfast's and lunches, but it's good to have the same foods for a few days to check for any reactions, as well as reducing the number of things you have to prepare each week!

Lunch: Bean spread on oat cakes (Nairns).
I made the bean spread from the BLW cookbook, using a tin of organic mixed beans from Waitrose. The recipe makes enough spread for 2 meals this week with some to freeze for a couple of weeks until we have it again. It was meant to be on the last of the pitta breads from the end of last week, but they'd gone mouldy, so we just had it on oat cakes. Very tasty and quite filling.

Dinner: Ratatouille with rice. 
Just a basic ratatouille, but without the aubergine as I don't like it! Very easy to prepare, using lots of fresh veggies and it was yummy!

Day 4
Breakfast: Yoghurt with plum puree.
[See Day 2]
Lunch: Savoury flapjacks.
[See Day 2]. Still very much enjoyed!
Dinner: Grilled fish with grapefruit and salad.
This was from the Abel and Cole website as I'm always at a bit of a loss what to do with grapefruit, beyond just eating it plain for breakfast. I bought two pollack fillets from Waitrose, marinated them as per the recipe (with oil, juice from the grapefruit, pepper and ground coriander) and then grilled them - it was one of the most disappointing meals I've ever had. This is my second 'fail' with pollack and given the price of this fish, I don't think I'll be bothering again.

Day 5
Breakfast: Fruit scone with jam.
[See Day 3]
Lunch: Bean spread on oat cakes.
[See Day 3]
Dinner: Spinach bake with bread and butter.
This is one of my own recipes that I've developed over the years, which is made up of layers of spinach and cottage cheese, held together with an egg mix, into which I throw whatever takes my fancy at the time (tonight it was tomato puree and fresh basil). I do them in individual dishes (2 medium and 1 in a ramekin for the baby). They're delicious, easy to prepare and take about 25 mins to cook at 200 C. Also very nice as an accompaniment to sausages.


No comments:

Post a Comment