Sunday 29 January 2012

Seed saving

There's nothing better on a dull, January day than planning for the coming growing season - which is why I spent yesterday afternoon with my head deep in my seed box and my annual Excel planning sheet! I also got round to putting some of the seed I saved in the autumn into jars; they've been drying in the cupboard under the stairs in paper bags. One of my goals for 2012 is to save a lot more seed and reduce the amount I order each year - so I'm off to a good start with my coriander, dill and calendula. A great resource, for if you're thinking about saving seeds, is the Real Seed Catalogue - each packet contains information not just on sowing, growing and harvesting, but also on how to collect the seed at the end of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment